Monday, May 31, 2010

Gauges

I got my gauges recently. They came from Whitby Motorcars. They sell the Classic Instruments Classic Gauge set that includes the speedometer, tachometer, water temperature, oil pressure, voltmeter and fuel level gauges. I added a clock to fill the last hole in the dashboard.

When I started this build I told my wife that I one thing I had to have was a reverse reading speedometer and the Whitby kit has that. They're all electric gauges including the speedo. While this means I have to calibrate it, I won't have to change the drive gear in the transmission when I regear the rear axle - I just change some dip switches.

My workspace was the dining room table protected by an oh-so-stylish 101 Dalmatians blanket (my 21 and 25 year old sons don't want it any more for some reason.)



Everything went together smoothly. I used quick-disconnects in case I ever have to remove the dash. Yes, the gauges are wired together but the whole thing will unplug from the car without having to disconnect individual gauges.



All connections were crimped, tested and shrinkwrapped. The speedometer and tachometer each have dedicated ground connections to the frame while the other gauges share their ground. Testing showed that everything worked.

Then I took it all apart so I could veneer the dash. I'm using a white oak veneer with a stain that comes close to the color of the steering wheel. Once the dash is finished and sanded I can put everything back together and install it into the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment