Monday, May 31, 2010

Exhaust

The go-cart run was done with an unpainted exhaust as it came from Factory Five. Once the weather warmed up I pulled the sidepipes back off and did some cleaning and sanding. I was surprised at how much surface rust had formed on the pipes, especially anywhere I had touched them.

I sanded them with 320 grit paper and wiped them down with acetone. Then came the challenge of how to paint them.

Since the body buck was in the lowered position I had the stilts available. I used them to build a temporary rack and hung the pipes from that so I could paint them.



You can see that the wheels are still on the rack as I knew this was just a short term solution and I'd need to put the body back up later.

Anyway, the pipes are now a nice flat/satin black and hopefully there will be no more rust problems.

Eventually, when the packing burns out, I'll replace the actual muffler part and I may get them ceramic coated but for now this is cheap, looks okay and can be touched up easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment