Monday, May 31, 2010

Body cutouts

I finally worked up the nerve to do the body cutouts. I had heard horror stories of how inaccurate the cutouts were from the factory so I decided I would do them on my own. It also saved me $260.

It was a bit unnerving to take a hole saw to the car but I did it figuring I can fix it if (when?) I screw something up. Happily most everything turned out.

While I had the body upside down for the Herculiner, I cut the wheelwell lips and rounded those. They almost feel like rolled aluminum now.

I also cut for the side vents and had no problems.



The exhaust and rollbar cutouts were a different story. FFR marks the body for us DIY cutters and stupidly I used their marks.

As a result one exhaust cutout is 0.5" forward of the other so I'll have to close that gap with some fibreglass at a later date.

The bigger issue is the rollbars. 5 holes were off by just a bit but they can be adjusted with a sanding disc and covered with a bezel. But the passenger side diagonal brace hole is just wrong. It was off to the rear by about an inch and too far to the right by another inch. But again, it's fibreglass so I can fix it. But you'd think after selling over 6000 of these kits they could mark the holes properly!

The marks of where to drill for the light mounting studs were also wrong and the screws for the taillights on one side are both at an angle. Again, I can fix it but still...

No comments:

Post a Comment