Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finally getting started

No pictures, but tonight I got things moved around and I feel like I'm finally able to get started on this project.

I got the frame moved to the 'working' side of the garage, the Miata moved to the 'non-working' side and the body stored over the Miata. It's kind of cozy but it works.

Once the frame was in place I traced outlines on the aluminum panels and started pulling them off. I'm going to drill all of the aluminum panels, reinstall them and drill all of the holes in the frame before I paint it.

I'm also going to make some mods before I paint it - driver's footbox, multiple grounding bolts and cut out the trunk support for a dropped-butt mod. Maybe some other stuff as well - I'll make it up as I go along.

I still have to disassemble my donor but that will come after I get the frame painted. That will provide plenty of curing time for the paint.

I also got two gallons of white vinegar to try as a rust remover. I read about it on the internet so it must be true. :-D

And I have to say, it works! I got a 5-gallon pail and dumped the vinegar into it. Then I put two fairly rusty brake rotors in there. Within an hour I was able to brush away a good amount of rust. I left them in there overnight so they should be nice and clean tonight. I really should have washed them down with Simple Green or some other cleaner first but I just didn't think about it. I'll clean the other parts before they go in the vinegar bath.

Lastly, I made my rivet spacing guides. I bought some 0.75" aluminum bar at Lowes. I cut it into 2 20" pieces. Then, starting 1-inch from the end, I marked 2" increments on one piece and 3" increments in the other. Then I took out my trusty drill and drilled 1/8" holes at each mark. Voila! Instant rivet spacing guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment