Thursday, March 19, 2009

Drilling, drilling, drilling...

I've been busy drilling holes. LOTS AND LOTS of holes.

I've removed about half of the factory installed aluminum panels so far and I'm drilling the mounting holes as I go. I'm using 3" spacing in most places. The floor pans are getting 2" spacing since they have to support weight. And I recently saw a post on FFCars that said to use 1" spacing where two aluminum panels meet so I'm doing that as well. That all adds up to lots of holes. I haven't killed any drill bits yet but they're begging for mercy.

And my homemade rivet hole spacing marker works just great.

Since we had a warm day I also did a bit of prep work on the brakes. I taped of the friction surface to protect it and shot the rotor hats black. The outside edges will be done in silver after the black cures completely. I also painted the caliper brackets black. Once I get the calipers cleaned and taped, they'll be done in red - hopefully this weekend.

I also got the spindles and spindle adapters cleaned up. Those got a coat of Hammerite Silver to match what will be going on the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment