Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm finally starting to build!

The gas tank and straps have been cleaned and painted. The plastic cover cleaned up really well, so I'm going to leave it alone. The sending unit tests okay so I'm hoping it will work with whatever gauges I end up with in the car. I'm going to cut an access opening in the trunk regardless so even if it goes out I don't have to drop the tank to swap it.

And I'm finally starting to put some things together!

The donor isn't completely stripped but I'm tired of fighting dirty parts for a while.

I've cleaned up and painted the stuff for the front end so I decided to put it together.

First up was an upper control arm. I installed the ball joint as per the instructions but used some lock-tite on it rather than tack welding it in place. I also marked it so I can tell if it turns.

Then, with some bubble wrap around the frame to protect it, I bolted the arm into place.





After that I put on the lower control arm, spindle adapter and spindle.



With the help of my trusty assistant Flash, I installed the KONI coilover shock assembly and brake disc and caliper.



Then it was lather, rinse and repeat for the other side.



Back to the dirty, nasty parts, I pulled the steering rack out of the Mustang. It was, like everything else, nasty.



I scrubbed it with Simple Green and then wiped it down with Acetone. A coating of Hammered Black paint followed for the body while the lines got cleaned and sprayed with silver. I didn't get a picture of it before I installed it but it looks really nice. I installed Energy Suspension mount bushings and then installed the rack into the frame. Then I put in the FFR rack spacers and reinstalled the inner tie rods. I'm waiting for the rack boots to dry and then I can install the tie rod ends.

Here's a shot of it painted up and installed.



While I was at it, I installed the steering column and placed the steering wheel on for a picture.



And thus endeth Box 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment