Saturday, May 2, 2009

BWAAAHAAAHAAAAAA!!!



Nothing better than an evil laugh when something works out according to plan.

The engine and transmission are OUT! My lovely bride and I spend some quality time on Friday night and got them out.

I had most everything unhooked before she came out but she still spotted a couple of things I missed.

Then we attached the new Harbor Freight engine leveler and raised it slightly.



A few more checks to make sure it was free and up it went some more.



A bit of persuasion with a breaker bar and it came clear of the radiator support. And then it was out!



Here I am after a successful operation separating the engine from the transmission.



And the bare engine bay. I'll get the steering pump and rack out soon but it was easier to leave them in for now.



Today I got the clutch and flywheel removed and mounted the engine on the stand for cleanup and storage. I also cleaned the 20+ years of scum off of the transmission. Surprisingly the rear main seal on the engine isn't leaking - all of the oil drippage appears to have come from the valve covers.

The PCV screen appears to be plugged solid so that probably contributed to the leaks as well. That will be replaced when I install the Explorer intake anyway so I'm not too worried about it.

That's about it for now. Sunday should see me finish removing the wiring harness and I may have time to drop out the gas tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment