Friday, July 10, 2009

Passenger footbox expanded

One major complaint that many FFR owners share is that the passenger footbox is too small. It's substantially smaller than the drivers footbox for no (to me and many others) apparent reason. When I rode in the passenger side of an FFR at the London Cobra Show recently, this fact was reinforced. I had to twist my feet uncomfortably to make them fit.

There are a couple of commercial solutions available, but with some new jigsaw blades and a brand new Harbor Freight metal break in my possession, I wanted to try my hand at building my own.

The stock box looks like this.



See how the inside wall angles in? That really cuts into the available footroom. Here's an overhead shot of the same box.



And here's an inside shot.



I used my best quality high-end modeling materials (pizza and cereal boxes) to redesign the footbox panels.





And this is what I ended up with.



Notice how much larger the front of the footbox is compared to the stock one. This equates to a tremendous increase in footroom.



And an inside shot.



I'm happy with how it turned out. The panels could fit together a bit better but I'm going to seal the gaps with aluminum tape and silicone to weatherproof them.

And my wife is much happier now that her feet will fit more comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment